Moved Rooms: The One-Mat Room and Shin Banraisha
Starts in 2 days
The Common Room, often referred to as the “Noguchi Room,” was designed as a collaborative effort between architect Yoshio Taniguchi (1904-1979) and American sculptor Isamu Noguchi (1904-1988), following the completion in 1951 of Taniguchi’s Second Faculty Building at Keio’s Mita Campus. The Common Room had been initially conceived of in the early Meiji Period, when Fukuzawa Yukichi had hoped to establish a “Banraisha” or “Shin Banraisha,” as a space for interchange between Professors and their students. Explorer Takeshirō Matsuura (1818-1888) built the Ichijōjiki (One-Mat Room) as a place to live out the remainder of his life. This event looks at these two spaces as a dialogue between the wanderers Noguchi and Matsuura.